Saturday, February 4, 2012

Journal #1


Response #1

At this point in my teaching growth, being a student in my class is like being part of experiment that takes place on a roller coaster. In stating this I am being completely honest. The experiment reference is because as a new teacher I am constantly trying out new things and experimenting with ideas. Well, they are new to me anyways. The students in my class are the most important part of these experiments. Basically, I experiment with different techniques of instruction, differentiation, projects etc. in an attempt to find out what I do best in reaching my students. As far as being on a roller coaster, in the eight weeks of student teaching I had some real ups and downs, as would be expected. Some of the lessons went extremely well, and I could see the energy and enthusiasm for learning that a lesson that is hitting home with the students can bring. Conversely, some of the lessons did not go well and I could see the effects of a lesson that completely missed its mark with my students. Luckily, because I have had masterful professors giving me exceptional resources and guidance, I did not have too many of these lessons. Yet, when I did I was able to reflect on the issues of those lessons and make adjustments. As far as what other ideas I have about what it is like to be a student in my class. I actually asked my classes a very similar question at the end of last semester in a feedback session I had with them. I gave each class an opportunity to tell me what they thought about my class and the lessons I had them do. For the most part they said that class was fun, different, helped them prepare for the test better, more work, and they never knew what I was going to have them do and never knew what silly or goofy thing I was going to say or do (Mostly a reference to the few Raps I wrote and sang for some lessons I am sure). Some of the students said that when I did lecture, which was not that often it was boring and I needed to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment