Sunday, February 5, 2012

Journal #3

     I feel that I am pretty in tune with the needs that my students will have in order for them to lead the lives that they want. As has been pointed out a number of times in this short semester it is no longer about just having the information and being able to assemble it in a logical manner. We are at the forefront of an era that those that have the information will have to be able to synthesis and manipulate it in out of the box manners in order to set themselves apart from the crowd. As an educator in this era it is up to me to not only help them learn the material but how to think about it in a variety of ways so that they can use their creativity and personality to make it something of value.
     How wide is the gap between me and them? Despite the age gap between me and my students I don't feel that the actual gap is as wide as it one might expect. However, some of the areas that have the widest gaps are likely in music and pop culture. That being the case I actually use these gaps as means of connecting with them. When I hear students talk about these things I ask them to tell me about it and then I try to relate my own music or ideas related to the conversation. It does not hurt that I have an eclectic taste in music and most students are surprised to know that I actually like some of the music they or their friends listen to. Another thing I do to make connections with my students is to tell stories about myself that they can relate to, most of them are about me making a fool of myself or failing in a funny way. Another great technique for me is to work a Rap or two in to a lesson. The class always get a kick out of it and they start to see me as being not just a teacher but a person that happens to teach and is willing to go out on a limb for them just to help them learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment